What to Buy In May
Can you believe it’s May already?
We couldn’t find any freebies for you this month. But, look for really massive sales on Memorial Day Weekend. Some stores have additional discounts on everything in the store, or discounts plus they’ll pay the sales tax.
Hopefully you’ve already bought jewelry if that’s your gift for Mother’s Day. Jewelry tends to increase in price at the beginning of May. So, if you’re on a budget, get creative and look beyond traditional gifts.
All spring long:
- Televisions and Other Electronics. Japanese companies like Sony and Sharp are working on clearing out their old stock. Their fiscal year ended in March. So look for some really great deals on last year’s models. But don’t buy any gaming consoles. The PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 are about to be updated, and the current models should drop in price this summer after the new consoles are announced.
- Boots and Winter Wear. Whatever inventory is left should be heavily discounted now.
- Cookware and Kitchen Accessories. Because of graduation and wedding season, there are a lot of kitchen and cooking sales all centered around helping someone get their start on a new life.
- Vacuum Cleaners. New vacuums are released in June.
- Spring clothing. Stores want to free up space for summer apparel. The closer to summer, the better the deals.
- Mattresses. The best deals are usually in January and July, but there are deep discounts also in May because of the new models being released in June.
- Patio Furniture. Look for great discounts on last year’s stock, but don’t buy this year’s models.
- Party & Picnic Supplies. People love their summer parties. And graduation parties. And bridal showers. So stock up this month for your future celebrations.
- Gym Memberships. People tend to take their workouts outdoors, so signups are slow. Don’t forget to haggle over the details and see if you can get the initiation fee waived as well as get passes to classes.
- Grill supplies. Stock up on charcoal, or a new chimney. But don’t buy a new grill yet. Unless it’s last year’s models. The best time to buy a new grill is after the 4th of July when retailers start to change their inventory.
- Camping and Hiking gear. This is the best month to buy items you need to enjoy the great outdoors. Look for coupons and sales leading up to Memorial Day which is usually the kick off for most people to go camping.
- Green garlic